By Robert Mackay, Sous Chef – Tramonto
Spring time instantly reminds me of a few things: tulips, daffodils, dusting off the BBQ and especially the season opening of fresh halibut. This simple grilled BBQ halibut recipe with a farro salad is an easy to prepare and many fresh textures and ingredients. You can use the salad to pair with salmon or scallops and even meats such as pork tenderloin, or grilled chicken.
BBQ Halibut with Roasted Fennel and Farro Salad
- Halibut – 4 140gr filets
- 1 bulb sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 400gr cooked farro
- 120 gr Red Grapes
- 120 gr Grape tomatoes
- 100 gr Almonds
- 50 gr Arugula
First prepare the Farro:
- 1 cup Farro (dry) wheat grains – available at upscale markets (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 cups water
- Put ingredients in a pot and cover. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low – slight simmer. Cook for 30-45 minutes. Should be soft with a chewy crunch texture.
10 minutes before the Farro is done simmering, roast the fennel and onions
- Slice the fennel and onions.
- Toss with a little olive oil and roast in a preheated oven at 425 for 7 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Should be soft with a crunch.
Then grill the halibut on a preheated BBQ (500F).
- Make sure the grill is clean and well-oiled prior to placing fish on it – to prevent sticking.
- Leave the fish on the grill and allow to cook for 3 min (lid up).
- Flip fish and turn down to low (lid up) for another 3 min.
- Fish should be moist and flakey when done. If it’s still to raw, cook longer on low with lid down for a few more minutes. It should not take very long.
Finally make the Farro Salad and serve
- Mix the farro, fennel and onions, together
- Fold in the arugula and allow to wilt from heat of farro.
- Add in almonds, grapes, tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil.
- Toss everything together and put on platter.
- Place halibut on top and serve immediately.